At a Glance
Average Completion Time
- 2-4 Years (Master’s Part Time)
- 1 year (Certificate part-time)
- 30 (Master’s)
- 12 (Certificate)
Tuition & Fees
- MD & Regional Resident: $733 per credit
- Non-Resident: $1,235 per credit
What is Learning and Performance Technology?
Why Learning and Performance Technology?
Instructional designers, instructional developers, trainers, and performance improvement specialists are in high demand. In both the public and private sectors, there is a significant need for trained professionals who can design and deliver effective learning products. Through applied learning and an innovative and career-focused curriculum, UMBC’s graduate programs in Learning and Performance Technology will help you meet this demand.
According to the U.S. Dept. of Labor, instructional design, training, and instructional technology jobs are expected to grow rapidly in the next several years and will have large numbers of job openings.
Why Learning and Performance Technology at UMBC?
Our LAPT program builds on UMBC’s 50 years of expertise in Instructional Systems Development. The workplace is evolving and changing. This evolution includes the role and responsibilities of instructional designers. Their primary role used to be to design and develop training content. The Association for Talent Development (ATD) research shows that only 20% of the problems in an organization can be solved by training. This begs the question “What do we do with about the other 80% of the problems”? UMBC’s LAPT provides a much more comprehensive approach creating solutions that involve a number of non-training solutions. These both compliment and supplement the skill of instructional designer.
- You will complete their program with a professional portfolio of work that you can show to potential employers, providing a significant competitive advantage
- Builds on UMBC Instructional Design expertise and faculty who are working practitioners to provide instructional designers with more solid foundations in ISD and learning and performance technology
- Our graduates work in positions in a wide variety of high-profile organizations, and alumni connections provide networking and career opportunities. These include IBM, the National Security Agency, T. Rowe Price, Booz Allen and Hamilton, Johns Hopkins Hospital and many more
- We take an applied program approach that is geared towards working adults and includes project-based learning and flexibility with course electives and projects
As the career outlook for Instructional Designers looks bright, now is a great time for you to consider a professional degree!
- The faculty for our Learning and Performance Technology Programs is comprised of industry experts
- UMBC provides education and training opportunities that respond to the need for trained and qualified technical professionals
- Times Higher Education has named UMBC one of the top universities worldwide for social and economic impact in 2019 and 2020
- UMBC has earned accreditation from the Middle States Commission on Higher Education; the Accrediting Board for Engineering Technology, Inc.; the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education
Looking for more info?