Cybersecurity is a dynamic industry that not only is constantly changing, but has grown to impact all aspects of government, business, and society. Accordingly, qualified cybersecurity professionals are in high demand at all levels, from technologists and warriors to managers, directors, and cybersecurity leaders. UMBC’s graduate programs in cybersecurity will prepare you to excel in this rapidly growing field.
Located within the Department of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, we offer graduate certificate programs as well as a Master’s of Professional Studies (MPS) degree at our campuses in Catonsville (UMBC main campus) and Rockville (UMBC at the Universities at Shady Grove)
At a Glance
- Master’s in Professional Studies: Cybersecurity
- Graduate Certificate in Proefssional Studies: Cybersecurity Strategy & Policy
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Studies: Cybersecurity Operations
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Studies: Digital Forensics
Average Completion Time
- 3 years (Master’s part-time)
- 1 year (Certificate part-time)
- 30 (Master’s)
- 12 (Certificate)
Tuition & Fees
- MD & Regional Resident: $823 per credit
- Non-Resident: $1,310 per credit
Why Consider Cybersecurity Graduate Degree?
Networked technologies integrate into every aspect of society, business, and government. This presents innumerable opportunities for adversaries to disrupt modern society.
Nations and organizations must develop new capabilities that protect our information resources against external threats. To excel in this space, cybersecurity professionals need theoretical and practical knowledge to build robust protections for our nation’s information security.
What Is an MPS Degree?
An MPS degree is a non-thesis graduate degree designed to provide you with applied and professional knowledge in your area of study. While traditional Master’s programs tend to focus on theory and research, a Master’s of Professional Studies will equip you with specialized domain knowledge and hands-on learning opportunities that focus on developing one’s career as a cyber practitioner. Our MPS programs are designed with your career goals in mind!
Why Cybersecurity at UMBC?
Our cybersecurity graduate programs respond to the local and national need for trained cybersecurity professionals. We emphasize hands-on training grounded in a strong theoretical framework to provide our students with a rigorous and relevant base of knowledge. Our graduates benefit from:
- An invaluable network: Our programs and courses are led by industry insiders and name-recognized faculty who bring the world of ‘cyber’ alive in meaningful ways. Smaller class sizes allow you to build connections with like-minded peers across the professional landscape. Our experienced adjunct faculty, many of whom have been with us since the beginning, truly are committed to your success.
- Opportunities beyond the classroom: UMBC students are invited to participate in assorted career services events, departmental talks, technical research groups, and other extracurricular activities during the year to enhance your education and UMBC student experience in ways beyond simply coursework.
- Flexibility: Our program, located within the Department of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, offers a range of traditional lecture, hybrid, and online courses to allow you to pursue your degree on your schedule. Students may draw upon the broad UMBC graduate catalog of courses when planning their studies, and UMBC is able to introduce new courses promptly in response to current events, student interests or industry needs.
- A national footprint: UMBC’s cybersecurity capabilities and expertise are well-established and well recognized, both locally and nationally. We are dual-designated as an NSA/DHS Center of Academic Excellence for Cyber Defense Education (CDE) and Information Assurance Research. We also provide research leadership at the National Cybersecurity Center of Excellence’s (NCCOE) Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) in Rockville, MD.
- Financial support: Our students are eligible to take part in federal scholarship programs, including the NSF Federal Cybercorps, Scholarship For Service (SFS) and DOD Information Assurance Scholarship Program (IASP). Please note that these opportunities are open to US citizens only.
- Convenient locations: Our main campus is conveniently located off of I-95 near BWI Airport, only ten miles from Fort Meade. Our Rockville campus is minutes away from the cybersecurity hubs of Washington, D.C. and Northern Virginia.
If you are looking for a cybersecurity graduate program that is designed with your career goals and needs in mind, we encourage you to explore our site. Learn more about our program requirements and application process by downloading our program guide, or explore our course descriptions and faculty bios to find out more about our approach to cybersecurity training. Bring your future into focus with a cybersecurity graduate degree or graduate certificate from UMBC.
Looking for more info?