How to Apply: Biotechnology Accelerated Program

Application Deadline(s)

Fall 2024: August 1, 2024
Spring 2025: December 1 , 2024

Qualified UMBC and UMBC-Shady Grove undergraduate students have the option of applying to the Biotechnology Master’s or Graduate Certificate programs in your junior or senior year, earning up to six credits towards your graduate certificate or nine credits towards your master’s degree. You will benefit by shortening the time to degree completion, experiencing the cost savings of taking graduate courses at undergraduate tuition rates, flexible learning options (many courses taught in evening or in hybrid format), and gaining practical knowledge and skills.

At a Glance



Locations Offered

  • Shady Grove (Rockville)

Admissions Requirements:

In order to be eligible for the accelerated graduate certificate or master’s degree option, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Be a junior or senior at UMBC majoring in science, engineering, or another major with sufficient coursework in relevant life science topics such as foundations of biology and organic chemistry, and be admitted at least one semester prior to completion of bachelor’s degree.
  • Have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0. If less than 3.0, admission consideration based on Graduate Program Director’s discretion.
  • Maintain good academic standing throughout the duration of undergraduate degree.

Application Process:

  • Contact Dr. Mark Schenerman, Graduate Program Director to discuss interest and plan of study.
  • Complete the Graduate School Accelerated Application DocuSign Form.
  • Submit copies of undergraduate transcripts in the Accelerated Application DocuSign form, via the upload feature. (Reference letters are not required.)
  • Once approved, complete the Approval for Undergraduates to take Courses for Graduate Credit.
  • One semester prior to completion of bachelor’s degree, submit an application for your Biotechnology graduate degree of choice to the Graduate School. The graduate school application fee is waived ($50 online/$70 paper).
  • Once admitted, complete transfer of credits form to Graduate School.
    • Up to six credits may be transferred into a Certificate program after being taken as an undergraduate, so long as a B grade or better was earned.
    • Up to nine credits may be transferred into a Master’s program after being taken as an undergraduate, so long as a B grade or better was earned.

We’re here to help! Stay connected with us.


Looking for more info?