All international applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible to allow sufficient time to receive all the necessary documents and to process and assess the application.
International applications are accepted for the fall and spring semester. We encourage all international applicants to send in their documents at least six months prior to the start of the semester applying to. To apply, complete a Degree-Seeking UMBC Graduate School Application and use program name: GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEMS (MPS)
- Apply online
- Submit your statement of goals as an attachment in the “Personal Statement” section. A competitive application will have a strong goal statement about their professional objective(s) from being in the program
- Insert names of two references into “References” section
- Request official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions to be sent to UMBC Graduate School, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Request for test scores to be sent by ETS to UMBC (code 5835)
All documents should be mailed to:
UMBC Graduate School, M.P.S. Geographic Information Systems
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250 U.S.A.
Your application packet should include the following documents:
- Completed graduate degree application (including residency form). Use program code PRST- GIS.
- Two letters of recommendation (if you choose to forego the online option, please see the printable form).
- A focused 300-500 word Goal Statement
- Official transcript(s) from each college & university attended
- TOEFL scores forwarded to UMBC by ETS – UMBC’s institutional code is 5835
- Application fee ($50 online)
Obtaining Immigration Documents
If you intend to apply for an F-1 visa and require an I-20 from UMBC, you will be required to provide a copy of a valid passport and proof of financial support. Please refer to the International Student and Scholar Services’ (ISSS) page on I-20 Information and Financial Requirements for more information. All immigration related questions should be addressed to ISSS through a Help Ticket.
- The program does not offer financial aid or graduate assistantships.
- Tuition information: Helpful hints about tuition and paying your bill.
- Student Business Services: Billing, tuition, fees, payment options.
Looking for more info?