Applications are only considered for the Fall semester. The application period opens on October 1, 2022 and runs through May 1, 2023. To apply, complete a Degree-Seeking UMBC Graduate School Application and use program name: Industrial & Organizational Psychology (MPS).
**Note: all application materials, including letters of recommendation and transcripts, must be submitted by May 1 to be considered for admission.
- Apply online
- Submit your statement of goals as an attachment in the “Academic Goals and Research Interests” section
- Insert names of references into “References” section (Note: we require three references.)
- Complete residency information to be reviewed for in-state tuition rates
- Request official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions to be sent to UMBC Graduate School, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250 or emailed to email@example.com.
Your application should include the following documents: (Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.)
- Completed application including residency form
- Official transcript(s) from each college & university attended
- Non-refundable application fee ($50 online)
- Three recommendation letters
- Because of the specific rating factors on which you will be evaluated, we recommend that at least one from an academic professor or advisor if possible. This will make your application more competitive. If that is not possible or practical, applicants may submit letters from other sources.
- Structuring your Goal Statement: In order to enhance your Goal Statement which you submit with your application, we recommend that you structure your essay in a way that addresses the following points (as applicable):
- Your personal and academic background including any coursework relevant to Psychology in general or I/O specifically (this is especially important for non-PSYC majors);
- Why you are interested in a career in I/O Psychology or Human Resources including any career goals;
- How I/O Psychology ties into any of your work experience to date;
- Any research experience which you have had;
- Any mitigating factors related to your prior academic performance which you would like us to know about.
Prior to writing this essay, we would recommend that you visit the website of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology or Personnel Testing Council of Metropolitan Washington to better acquaint you with the subfields and functional job areas in which degreed professionals operate. This will also assist you in identifying interests and career goals within the field of I/O Psychology.
All application documents should be mailed to:
UMBC Graduate School, MPS: I/O Psychology
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250
If you require further assistance, please email the Office of Professional Programs or call 443-612-1311.
Looking for more info?