Fall 2023 Data Science International Student Deadline: April 7, 2023
The following information is provided for international applicants interested in applying to the Masters of Professional Studies in Data Science. International applicants should read the information provided carefully prior to applying.
At a Glance
- UMBC Campus (Catonsville)
- Shady Grove (Rockville)
International Student Admission Requirements
Please note that all international applications for the Data Science program are due:
April 7 for each fall semester
October 1 for each spring semester.
All students need to meet the following minimum requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree in any subject*
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on 4.0 scale, or equivalent. Applicants with grades on a scale other than 4.0, will be evaluated based on standards for the country of their degree
- Prospective students must have also completed the following courses at the undergraduate or graduate level:
- One semester of statistics
- Calculus I
- Candidates must have academic or professional experience equivalent to basic programming courses.
- Students who do not have formal undergraduate programming courses or on-the-job training are encouraged to use MOOCs or Khan Academy.
- GRE scores are not required for admission.
- English proficiency scores (Exceptions to English Proficiency Requirement):
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores: 90 iBT
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores: Minimum score 6.5
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic scores: 61
- Duolingo English test: Minimum score 115
- Scores must be less than 2 years old.
*If you have a three-year degree versus a four-year degree, your transcript will be reviewed to determine whether you have met the necessary pre-requisites for the program. Eligibility for admission can only be determined upon receipt of a complete application.
We’re here to help! Stay connected with us.
All international applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible to allow sufficient time to receive all the necessary documents and to process and assess the application. International applications are accepted for the fall and spring semester. We encourage all international applicants to send in their documents at least six months prior to the start of the semester for which they are applying. To apply, complete a Graduate Degree Application and use program name: Data Science (MPS)
- Apply online
- Select program Data Science >> Degree Code – Master’sThis program has an option between campus locations. You may choose to apply to the Main UMBC Campus, or the Shady Grove campus located in Rockville, MD. Please indicate which campus location you want to take classes at on the Program Specific section of the application.
- Submit your statement of goals as an attachment in the “Personal Statement” section
- Insert names of references into “References” section (Note: we only require two)
- Complete residency information
- Request official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions to be sent to UMBC Graduate School, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250 or emailed to email@example.com
- Request for english proficiency scores must be sent by the Testing Center. UMBC code: 5835.
All documents should be mailed to:
UMBC Graduate School, MPS: Data Science
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250 U.S.A.
Your application packet should include the following documents:
- Completed graduate degree application (including residency form). Use program code: PRST-DATA
- Two letters of recommendation (if you choose to forego the online option, please see the printable form)
- Personal statement outlining the student’s goals and expectations of the program. Statement should include applicant’s background, qualifications, career experience, and any additional pertinent information
- Current resume
- Official transcript(s) from each college & university attended
- TOEFL or other English Language test scores* forwarded to UMBC by ETS – UMBC’s institutional code is 5835
- Application fee ($50 online)
*Please note: All international students are required to submit English Language scores unless you hold an undergraduate degree from a U.S. institution or hold a degree from an English-speaking country on the list of exceptions.
Obtaining Immigration Documents
If you intend to apply for an F-1 visa and require an I-20 from UMBC, you will be required to provide a copy of a valid passport and proof of financial support. Please refer to International Student and Scholar Services’ (ISSS) page on I-20 Information and Financial Requirements for more information. All immigration related questions should be addressed to ISSS through a Help ticket.
- The program does not offer financial aid or graduate assistantships.
- Tuition information: Helpful hints about tuition and paying your bill.
- Student Business Services: Billing, tuition, fees, payment options.
Looking for more info?