International Student Admission Requirements
All international applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible to allow sufficient time to receive all the necessary documents and to process and assess the application. International applications are accepted for the fall and spring semester. We encourage all international applicants to send in their documents at least six months prior to the start of the semester for which they are applying. To apply, complete a Graduate Degree Application and use program name: Data Science (MPS)
- Apply online (International application for the spring semesters is due October 1, for fall semesters is due May 1)
- Select program Data Science >> Degree Code – Master’s
- This program has an option between campus locations. You may choose to apply to the Main UMBC Campus, or the Shady Grove campus located in Rockville, MD. Please indicate which campus location you want to take classes at on the Program Specific section of the application.
- Submit your statement of goals as an attachment in the “Personal Statement” section
- Insert names of references into “References” section (Note: we only require two)
- Complete residency information
- Request official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions to be sent to UMBC Graduate School, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Request for english proficiency scores must be sent by the Testing Center. UMBC code: 5835.
All documents should be mailed to:
UMBC Graduate School, MPS: Data Science
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250 U.S.A.
Your application packet should include the following documents:
- Completed graduate degree application (including residency form). Use program code: PRST-DATA
- Two letters of recommendation (if you choose to forego the online option, please see the printable form)
- Personal statement outlining the student’s goals and expectations of the program. Statement should include applicant’s background, qualifications, career experience, and any additional pertinent information
- Current resume
- Official transcript(s) from each college & university attended
- TOEFL or other English Language test scores* forwarded to UMBC by ETS – UMBC’s institutional code is 5835
- Application fee ($50 online)
*Please note: All international students are required to submit English Language scores unless you hold an undergraduate degree from a U.S. institution or hold a degree from an English-speaking country on the list of exceptions.
Obtaining Immigration Documents
If you intend to apply for an F-1 visa and require an I-20 from UMBC, you will be required to provide a copy of a valid passport and proof of financial support. Please refer to International Student and Scholar Services’ (ISSS) page on I-20 Information and Financial Requirements for more information. All immigration related questions should be addressed to ISSS through a Help ticket.
- The program does not offer financial aid or graduate assistantships.
- Tuition information: Helpful hints about tuition and paying your bill.
- Student Business Services: Billing, tuition, fees, payment options.
Looking for more info?