Fall 2023 Application Deadline: August 1, 2023
Fall 2023 Semester Begins: August 30, 2023
If you’re ready to take your knowledge of data to the next level, learn more about preparing your application for UMBC’s data science certificate program!
At a Glance
- UMBC Campus (Catonsville)
- Shady Grove (Rockville)
A bachelor’s degree in any subject and 3.0 GPA
- GRE scores are not required for admission
- Prospective students must have also completed the following courses at the undergraduate or graduate level:
- One semester of statistics
- Calculus I
- Candidates must have academic or professional experience equivalent to basic programming courses.
- Students who do not have formal undergraduate programming courses or on-the-job training are encouraged to use MOOCs or Khan Academy.
- International applicants should refer to the International Admission Page for special admission information
- Apply online
- Select proposed program Data Science >> Data Science (PRST MPS)
- This program has an option between campus locations. You may choose to apply to the Main UMBC Campus, or the Shady Grove campus located in Rockville, MD. Please indicate which campus location you want to take classes at on the Program Specific section of the application.
- Submit your statement of goals as an attachment in the “Academic Goals and Research Interests” section
- Recommendations are optional. Please put N/A in these fields if you choose not to enter names of references.
- Complete residency information to be reviewed for in-state tuition rates.
- Request official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions to be sent to UMBC Graduate School, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit resume as an attachment in the “Additional Admissions Documents” section or submit to email@example.com.
Your application should include the following documents: (Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.)
- Completed application including residency form (Residency form determines in-state tuition eligibility)
- Statement outlining the student’s goals and expectations in the program. This also is an opportunity for applicants to further explain their background and qualifications for the program and provide any additional information about themselves or their career experience that they feel will benefit the evaluation of their application.
- Current resume (When applying online, upload your resume to the graduate school application.)
- Official transcript(s) from each college & university attended
- Non-refundable application fee ($50 online)
We’re here to help! Stay connected with us.
Currently Enrolled Master’s Students
If you are currently enrolled at UMBC and interested in applying for this post-baccalaureate certificate, you may apply by filling out an Application for Enrollment in a Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program. Use Professional Programs, firstname.lastname@example.org, for the program coordinator’s information. For questions about the process, please contact email@example.com.
All application documents should be mailed to:
UMBC Graduate School, MPS: Data Science
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250
If you require further assistance, please send an email to the Office of Professional Programs for UMBC Campus applications or Karina Jenkins for UMBC-Shady Grove campus applications.
Looking for more info?