Our Vision and Mission guide us as we provide aspiring and practicing leaders with the skills and experience to generate transformative social change.
The UMBC Community Leadership Programs envision:
Learning and working together to champion vibrant communities; inclusively, collaboratively, compassionately, equitably, authentically, skillfully, creatively, powerfully, intelligently, sustainably, and courageously.
With this Vision as our North Star, Community Leadership’s Mission is to:
- Build communities inside and outside the classroom that are rooted in relationships and brought to life through co-teaching, co-learning, and co-creating;
- Connect our overlapping communities to address white supremacy and other systemic barriers to equity;
- Advance community leadership as a practice, not a position, that draws on deep listening and courageous sharing, learning from and with fellow community members, trusting and risking together to take skillful collective action;
- Model a holistic curriculum and pedagogy for practicing community leadership that integrates knowledge, skills, and affective growth (KSAs) in transformative learning;
- Lead institutional change in higher education towards a core institutional identity as citizens in our greater Baltimore community.
See our full mission and vision here!