Every semester, each student is required to have academic advising. Advising is designed to make sure each student is completing the program in a timely and efficient manner. It is also required before a student is given authorization to register for the next semester.
Completed advising forms need to be sent to email@example.com. Students who are unsure which courses to take should utilize advising to discuss course choice/sequence, academic performance issues, and student progress.
Click here for the Academic Advising Planning PDF Form. It may take 7 – 10 days to review and approve an advising planning form during times of high volume. (Advising authorization does not reserve a seat in a course for a student. Please check your registration dates).
The Academic Advising form should contain the following:
- Complete the General Information section completely
- If you have completed any course, enter the term, (Fall, Spring or Summer) and year that a course was completed under the column marked “Semester Completed.”
- If you are currently enrolled in a course, enter the current term by the course under the column, “Semester Enrolled/Anticipated”
- Please indicate your projected courses for the next semester in the “Semester Enrolled/Anticipated” section.
Once the form is completed and returned, it is the responsibility of the student to e-mail to check for approval and determine if additional advising is necessary.
Course Registration: A three step process. Review the schedule of classes prior to sending your authorization form to ensure that the courses are offered.
- Advising: Send your completed advising form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Authorization Process: After your course selection is approved, we will enter your authorization into the registration system.
- Online Registration: After students are authorized they may register online via myUMBC according to the dates below. Authorization does not guarantee a seat in a course. Students must register online are advised to do so as soon as possible. The Registrar’s Office provides instructions for how to register online.
Looking for more info?