Every semester, each student is required to have academic advising. Advising is designed to make sure each student is completing the program in a timely and efficient manner. It is also required before a student is given authorization to register for the next semester.
Dr. Chuck Hodell is the Academic Advisor for all students enrolled in the Learning and Performance Technology (formerly known as Instructional Systems Development) Graduate Programs. Completed advising forms need to be sent to him at email@example.com. Students who are unsure which courses to take should utilize advising to discuss course choice/sequence, academic performance issues, and student progress.
Click here for the Academic Advising Planning PDF Form. It may take 7 – 10 days to review and approve an advising planning form during times of high volume. (Advising authorization does not reserve a seat in a course for a student. Please check your registration dates).
The Academic Advising form should contain the following:
- Complete the General Information section completely
- If you have completed any course, enter the term, (Fall, Spring or Summer) and year that a course was completed under the column marked “Semester Completed.”
- If you are currently enrolled in a course, enter the current term by the course under the column, “Semester Enrolled/Anticipated”
- Please indicate your projected courses for the next semester in the “Semester Enrolled/Anticipated” section.
Once the form is completed and returned, it is the responsibility of the student to contact Dr. Hodell by e-mail to check for approval and determine if additional advising is necessary.
Course Registration: A three step process. Review the schedule of classes prior to sending your authorization form to ensure that the courses are offered.
- Advising: Send your completed advising form to Dr. Hodell.
- Authorization Process: After Dr. Hodell approves your course selection, we will enter your authorization into the registration system.
- Online Registration: After students are authorized they may register online via myUMBC according to the dates below. Authorization does not guarantee a seat in a course. Students must register online are advised to do so as soon as possible. The Registrar’s Office provides instructions for how to register online.
Looking for more info?