In order to be eligible for the accelerated graduate certificate or master’s degree option, you must meet the following requirements:
- Have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0. If less than 3.0, admission consideration based on Graduate Program Director’s discretion.
- Be a junior or senior at UMBC, and be admitted at least one semester prior to completion of bachelor’s degree.
- Maintain good academic standing throughout the duration of undergraduate degree.
While most Accelerated Program students are from the College of Engineering and Information Technology (COEIT), students from outside COEIT who also have an overall GPA of 3.0 may apply via the Cybersecurity Strategy and Policy option. If admitted, such students may take CYBR 620, 621, 622, and/or 623 to begin graduate cybersecurity studies while still an undergraduate student. Non-COEIT students who believe they are qualified to pursue a more technical cybersecurity opportunities should contact the cybersecurity GPD to discuss their interests.
Students from the Department of Information Systems (IS) must contact their Undergraduate Program Director to confirm their eligibility before applying to the Accelerated Program.
In one package please assemble:
- Complete the Graduate School Accelerated Program Application Form
- Undergraduate transcripts (Recommendations are not required)
- Students from the Department of Information Systems (IS) must contact their Undergraduate Program Director to confirm their eligibility before applying to the BS/MPS program
Submit this documentation to your Undergraduate Advisor/Program Director for preliminary review and approval. If approved, then submit to the CYBR program where a final admission decision will be made.
Once admitted, complete the Approval for Undergraduates to take Courses for Graduate Credit form for each 600-level security course you are taking to ensure you receive graduate credit as well. Admitted CMSC students must take CMSC 626 (Principles of Computer Security) instead of CYBR 620 (Introduction to Cybersecurity) and may count 600-level CMSC cybersecurity electives toward their graduate credits in addition to CYBR courses.
One semester prior to completion of your bachelor’s degree, submit an application for the Cybersecurity Accelerated Program you are pursuing to the Graduate School. The graduate school application fee is waived ($50 online/$70 paper).
Once admitted to the Cybersecurity Accelerated Program, complete the Graduate School’s Credit Transfer form for up to six credits towards a graduate certificate or nine credits towards the master’s to reflect the CYBR courses you took as an undergraduate. Please note that only graduate courses completed with a B or higher are eligible to be transferred into the Cybersecurity graduate certificates or master’s.
Looking for more info?