Fall 2023 Application Deadline: August 1, 2023
Fall 2023 Semester Begins: August 30, 2023
Are you ready to start exploring cybersecurity with UMBC’s leading faculty? Start preparing your application here!
At a Glance
- UMBC Campus (Catonsville)
- Shady Grove (Rockville)
There are no specific constraints on the type of undergraduate degree required for this certificate. In general, applicants should understand the basic concepts and operation of the Internet, networked information systems, and have a basic familiarity with information security concepts and/or practices. These general requirements usually can be satisfied with one or more courses in related areas or through documented professional experience. Those with a background in computer science or information systems, or those with significant professional experience in the IT industry, are encouraged to apply.
- GRE scores are not required for admission
- Applicants should have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (Applicants with an appropriate level of knowledge and professional experience in the IT or cybersecurity fields are strongly encouraged to apply).
- Current resume
- Statement outlining the student’s goals and expectations in the program. This is an opportunity for applicants to further explain their background and qualifications for the program and provide any additional information about themselves or their career experience that they feel will benefit the evaluation of their application.
- Official transcripts are required.
- International students who earned a degree outside of the U.S. are required to submit English proficiency scores.
- TOEFL score requirements: 597 (Written), 247 (computerized), 99 (iBT). Scores must be less than 2 years old.
- iBT Score Breakdown: Writing (23), Listening (23), Reading (25), Speaking (28, 23 acceptable if have 2 years’ work experience in supervisory or managment position in the U.S.)
- IELTS Score: Minimum score of 7.5 required
We’re here to help! Stay connected with us.
Applications for the Master’s program are accepted for the Fall and Spring semesters:
- Apply online – Select Application for Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program
- Submit your statement of goals as an attachment in the “Personal Statement” section
- This program has an option between campus locations. You may choose to apply to the Main UMBC Campus, or the Shady Grove campus located in Rockville, MD. Please indicate which campus location you want to take classes at on the Program Specific section of the application.
- Recommendations are optional. Please put N/A in these fields if you choose not to enter names of references.
- Complete residency information to be reviewed for in-state tuition rates.
- Request official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions to be sent to UMBC Graduate School, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250 or emailed to email@example.com.
- Submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following information is required to process your application:
- Completed application including residency form (determines in-state tuition eligibility)
- Use Program code PSCB for Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Professional Studies: Cybersecurity Strategy & Policy
- Use Program code PSCO for Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Professional Studies: Cybersecurity Operations
- Personal statement
- Current resume
- Unoffical transcript(s) from each college university attended
- Non-refundable application fee ($50 online)
Currently Enrolled Master’s Students
If you are currently enrolled at UMBC and interested in applying for this post-baccalaureate certificate, you may apply by filling out an Application for Enrollment in a Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program. Use Professional Programs, email@example.com, for the program coordinator’s information. For questions about the process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
All application documents should be mailed to:
UMBC Graduate School, MPS: Cybersecurity
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250
If you require further assistance, please send an email to email@example.com for Main UMBC Campus applications or firstname.lastname@example.org for UMBC-Shady Grove campus applications.
Looking for more info?